130 Mulford Hall #3114
Berkeley, CA 94720-3114
Environmental Science, Policy and Management (ESPM)
Informatics and GIS (IGIS) Statewide Program
I am a geographer, trained in geospatial technologies and natural-human system interactions. I am interested in functional mapping of environment, participatory research, and integrated geospatial technology. My approach to research and outreach is applied and collaborative. The systems I focus on vary in type and scale, and include Sierra Nevada forests, San Francisco Bay wetlands, the California delta, and urban neighborhoods, but all of them are managed landscapes with a complex spatial structure that can be mapped using geospatial tools, and all of them have an interested group of stakeholders for whom the research results have importance. Through innovative and integrated methods, I provide data and expertise to understand the drivers and consequences of environmental change across California’s spatially complex, socially diverse and dynamic landscapes.
SpecialtyGIS, remote sensing, landscape ecology, wetlands, deforestation
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Program and Project Support, Administration, and Communication
- Communication, Education, and Information Delivery
- Natural Resources and Environment
- Soil, Plant, Water, Nutrient Relationships
- Management and Control of Forest and Range Fires
- Aquatic and Terrestrial Wildlife
- Conservation of Biological Diversity
- Community Resource Planning and Development
- Geographic Information Systems
- Kelly, A.B; M. Kelly (In Press). "Validating the remotely sensed geography of crime: A review of emerging issues." Remote Sensing
- Lewis, S.; Fitts, G. (2014). "A fuzzy logic-based spatial suitability model for drought-tolerant switchgrass in the United States." Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 103: 39-47.
- S. Tao; L. Li (2014). "Airborne Lidar-derived volume metrics for aboveground biomass estimation: A comparative assessment for conifer stands. Agriculture and Forest Management." Agriculture and Forest Management 189-199: 24-32.
- Byrd, Kristin B; O'Connell, Jessica L (2014). "Evaluation of sensor types and environmental controls on mapping biomass of coastal marsh emergent vegetation." Remote Sensing of Environment 149: 166-180.
- Lewis, S.; Gross, S. (2014). "Fuzzy GIS-based multi-criteria evaluation for US Agave production as a bioenergy feedstock." GCB (Global Change Biology) Bioenergy
- Blaschke, T.; Hay, G. (2014). "Geographic Object-Based Image AnalysisâTowards a new paradigm." ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing 87: 180-191.
- Lewis, S.; Kelly, M. (2014). "Mapping the Potential for Biofuel Production on Marginal Lands: Differences in Definitions, Data and Models across Scales." ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information 3(2): 430-459.
- Schile, L.; Callaway, J. (2014). "Modeling Tidal Marsh Distribution with Sea-Level Rise: Evaluating the Role of Vegetation, Sediment, and Upland Habitat in Marsh Resiliency." PlOS One 9(2): e88760.
- Kramer, Heather A; Collins, Brandon M (2014). "Quantifying Ladder Fuels: A New Approach Using LiDAR." Forests 5(6): 1432-1453.
- O'Connell, Jessica L; K. Byrd (2014). "Remotely-sensed indicators of N-related biomass allocation in Schoenoplectus acutus." PLOS One 9(3)
- Laraia, B A, S D Blanchard, A J Karter, J C Jones-Smith, M Warton, E Kersten, M Jerrett, H H Moffet, N Adler, D Schillinger, M Kelly (2014). "Spatial pattern of Body Mass Index among adults in the Diabetes Study of Northern California (DISTANCE)." International Journal of Health Geographics 13(48)
- Schile, L.; Byrd, K. (2013). "Accounting for non-photosynthetic vegetation in remote-sensing-based estimates of carbon flux in wetlands." Remote Sensing Letters 4(6): 542-551.
- Jakubowski, M.; Li, W. (2013). "Delineating individual trees from lidar data: a comparison of vector- and raster-based segmentation approaches." Remote Sensing 5(4163-4186)
- Pennypacker, C.; Jakubowski, M. (2013). "FUEGOâFire Urgency Estimator in Geosynchronous OrbitâA Proposed Early-Warning Fire Detection System." Remote Sensing 5(10): 5173-5192.
- Ferranto, S.; Huntsinger, L. (2013). "Management without borders? A survey of landowner practices and attitudes towards cross- boundary cooperation." Society and Natural Resources
- Jones-Smith, J. ; Wharton, M. (2013). "Obesity and the food environment: income and ethnicity differences among people with diabetes, the Diabetes Study of Northern California (DISTANCE)." Diabetes Care 36: 2697-2705.
- Jakubowski, M.; Guo, Q. (2013). "Predicting surface fuel models and fuel metrics using lidar and imagery in dense, mountainous forest." Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing 79(1): 37-49.
- Jakubowski, M.; Guo, Q. (2013). "Tradeoffs between lidar pulse density and forest measurement accuracy." Remote Sensing of Environment 130: 245-253.
- PeÃ±a, J.; Torres-SÃ¡nchez, J. (2013). "Weed Mapping in Early-Season Maize Fields Using Object-Based Analysis of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Images." PlOS One 8(10): e77151.
- Brown, G.; Kelly, M. (2013). "Which âpublicâ? Sampling effects in public participation GIS (PPGIS) and Volunteered Geographic Information (VGI) systems for public lands management." Journal of Environmental Planning and Environment
- Li, W.; Guo, Q. (2012). "A new method for segmenting individual trees from the lidar point cloud." Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing 78(1): 75-84.
- Zhao, F.; Guo, Q. (2012). "Allometric equation choice impacts lidar-based forest biomass estimates: A case study from the Sierra National Forest, CA." Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 165: 64-72.
- Zhao, F.; Sweitzer, R. (2012). "Characterizing habitats associated with fisher den structures in the Southern Sierra Nevada, California using discrete return lidar." Forest Ecology & Management 280: 112-119.
- Connors, J.; Lei, S. (2012). "Citizen science in the age of neogeography: Utilizing volunteered geographic information for environmental monitoring." Annals of the Assocation of American Geographers 102(6): 1267-1289.
- Ferranto, S.; Huntsinger, L. (2012). "Consider the source: The impact of media and authority in outreach to Californiaâs forest and rangeland owners." Journal of Environmental Management 97(1): 131-140.
- Kelly, M.; Ferranto, S. (2012). "Expanding the table: The web as a tool for participatory adaptive management in California forests." Journal of Environmental Management 109: 1-11.
- Kersten, E.; Laraia, B. (2012). "Small Food Stores and Availability of Nutritious Foods: A Comparison of Database and In-Store Measures, Northern California, 2009." Preventing Chronic Disease 9: 12-00.
- Baldocchi, D.; Detto, M. (2012). "The trials and tribulations of measuring methane fluxes and concentrations over a peatland pasture in the Sacramento-San Joaquin river delta of California." Agricultural and Forest Meteorology(153): 1.
- Koy, K.; Wart, S. (2011). "CalâAdapt: Bringing global climate change data to local application." Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing 77(6): 546-550.
- Sonnentag, O.; Detto, M. (2011). "Carbon dioxide exchange of a pepperweed (Lepidium latifolium L.) infestation: how do flowering and mowing affect canopy photosynthesis and autotrophic respiration?" Journal of Geophysical Research - Biogeosciences 116: G01021.
- Garcia-Feced, C.; Temple, D. (2011). "Characterizing California Spotted Owl nest sites and their associated forest stands using Lidar data." Journal of Forestry 108(8): 436-443.
- Leung, C.; Laraia, B. (2011). "Effects of Neighborhood Food Store Availability on Young Girls' Body Mass Index." American Journal of Preventative Medicine 41(1): 43-51.
- Ferranto, S.; Huntsinger, L. (2011). "Forest and rangeland owners value land for natural amenities, and as financial investment." California Agriculture 65(4): 184-191.
- Teh, Y.; Sonnentag, O. (2011). "Large Non-CO2 greenhouse gas emissions from managed and restored temperate peatlands driven by flooding and water management." Ecosystems 14: 311-325.
- Tuxen, K.; Schile, L. (2011). "Mapping changes in tidal wetland vegetation composition and pattern across a salinity gradient using high spatial resolution imagery." Wetlands Ecology and Management 19(141-157)
- Kelly, M.; Tuxen, K. (2011). "Mapping changes to vegetation pattern in a restoring wetland: finding pattern metrics that are consistent across scale and time." Ecological Indicators 11: 263-273.
- Kelly, M.; Blanchard, S. (2011). "Object-based analysis of imagery in support of public health: new avenues of research." Remote Sensing 3(11): 2321-2345.
- Blanchard, S.; Jakubowski, M. (2011). "Object-based image analysis of downed logs in a disturbed forest landscape using lidar." Remote Sensing 3(11): 2420-2439.
- Stralberg, D.; Brennan, M. (2011). "Prospects for tidal marsh sustainability in San Francisco Bay: Spatial habitat scenarios and sensitivity analysis." PlOS One 6(11): e27388.
- Sonnentag, O.; Detto, M. (2011). "Tracking the structural and functional development of a perennial pepperweed (Lepidium latifolium L.) infestation using a multi-year archive of webcam imagery and eddy covariance measurements." Agriculture and Forest Meteorology 151(916-926)
- Stralberg, D.; Herzog, M. (2010). "Predicting avian abundance within and across tidal marshes using fine-scale vegetation and geomorphic metrics." Wetlands 30: 475-487.
- McPherson, B.; Wood, D. (2010). "Survival of oaks and tanoaks after eight years of sudden oak death monitoring in coastal California." Forest Ecology and Management 259: 2248-225.
- De Chant, T.; Gallego, A. (2010). "Urban influence on changes in linear forest edge structure." Landscape and Urban Planning 96: 12-18.
- De Chant, T.; Kelly, M. (2009). "Individual object change detection for monitoring the impact of a forest pathogen on a hardwood forest." Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing 75(8): 1005-1014.
- Collins, B.; Miller, J. (2009). "Interactions among wildland fires in a long-established Sierra Nevada natural fire area." Ecosystems 12(1): 114-128.
- Liu, Y.; Guo, Q. (2008). "A framework of region-based spatial relationships for non-overlapping features and its application in object based image analysis." ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing 63: 461-475.
- Cleve, C.; Kelly, M. (2008). "Classification of urban environments for fire management support: A comparison of pixel- and object-based classifications using high-resolution aerial photography." Computers, Environment and Urban Systems 32: 317-326.
- Kelly, M.; Ueda, K. (2008). "Considerations for ecological reconstruction of historic vegetation: Analysis of the spatial uncertainties in the California Vegetation Type Mapping dataset." Plant Ecology 194(1): 37-49.
- Rindfuss, R.; Entwisle, B. (2008). "Land use change: complexity and comparisons." Journal of Land Change Science 3(1): 1-10.
- Lozano, F.; SuÃ¡rez-Seoane, S. (2008). "Multi-scale approach to fire occurrence probability in a Mediterranean region using satellite data and CART." Remote Sensing of Environment 112(3): 708-719.
- Kelly, M.; Liu, D. (2008). "Spatial pattern dynamics of oak mortality and associated disease symptoms in a California hardwood forest affected by sudden oak death." Journal of Forest Research 13: 312-319.
- Pu, R.; Kelly, M. (2008). "Spectroscopic determination of health levels of coast live oak (Quercus agrifolia) leaves." Geocarto International 23(1): 3-20.
- Pu, R.; Kelly, M. (2008). "Using CASI hyperspectral imagery to detect mortality and vegetation stress associated with a new hardwood forest disease." Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing 74(1): 65-75.
- Tuxen, K.; Schile, L. (2008). "Vegetation colonization in a restoring tidal marsh: A remote sensing approach." Restoration Ecology 16(2): 313-323.
- Guo, Q.; Kelly, M. (2007). "An object-based classification approach in mapping tree mortality using high spatial resolution imagery." GIScience and Remote Sensing 44(1): 24-47.
- Liu, D.; Kelly, M. (2007). "Characterizing spatialâtemporal tree mortality patterns associated with a new forest disease." Forest Ecology and Management 253(1-3): 220-231.
- Sonnentag, O.; Chen, J. M. (2007). "Mapping tree and shrub leaf area indices in an ombrotrophic peatland through multiple endmember spectral unmixing." Remote Sensing of Environment 109(3): 342.
- Pedersen, B.; Kearns, F. (2007). "Methods for facilitating web-based participatory research informatics." Ecological Informatics 2(1): 33-42.
- Kelly, M.; Guo, Q. (2007). "Modeling the risk of a new invasive forest disease in the United States: an evaluation of five environmental niche models." Computers, Environment and Urban Systems 31(6): 689-710.
- Collins, B.; Kelly, M. (2007). "Spatial patterns of large natural fires in Sierra Nevada wilderness areas." Landscape Ecology 22(4): 545-557.
- Byrd, K.; Kelly, M. (2007). "Temporal relationships between watershed land use and salt marsh disturbance in a Pacific estuary." Environmental Management 39(1): 98-112.
- Liu, D.; Kelly, M. (2006). "A spatial-temporal approach to monitoring forest disease spread using multi-temporal high spatial resolution imagery." Remote Sensing of Environment 101(2): 167-180.
- Liu, D.; Gong, P. (2006). "Automatic registration of airborne images by combining area-based methods with local transformation methods." Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing 72(9): 1049-1059.
- Liu, D.; Gong, P. (2006). "Automatic registration of airborne images with complex local distortion." Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing 72(9)
- Q. Chen; D. Baldocchi (2006). "Isolating individual trees in a savanna woodland using small footprint LIDAR data." Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing 72(8): 923-932.
- Yu, Q.; Gong, P. (2006). "Object-based detailed vegetation classification with airborne high spatial resolution remote sensing imagery." Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing 72(7): 799-811.
- Byrd, K.; Kelly, M. (2006). "Salt marsh vegetation response to edaphic and topographic changes from upland sedimentation in a Pacific estuary." Wetlands 26(3): 813-829.
- Fisher, J.; Kelly, M. (2006). "Scales of environmental justice: combining GIS and spatial analysis for air toxics in West Oakland, CA." Health and Place 12: 701-714.
- Kearns, F.; Kelly, N. (2005). "A method for the use of landscape metrics in freshwater research and management." Landscape Ecology 20: 113-125.
- Kelly, M.; Allen-Diaz, B. (2005). "Digitization of a historic dataset: the Wieslander California vegetation type mapping project." MadroÃ±o 52(3): 191-201.
- Opperman, J.; Lohse, K. (2005). "Influence of land use on fine sediment in salmonid spawning gravels within the Russian River Basin, California." Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62: 2740â??2751.
- Sun, W.; Kelly, M. (2005). "Separation of dead tree crowns from the oak woodland forest mosaic by integrating spatial information." GeoCarto International 20(2): 15-20.
- McPherson, B.; Wood, D. (2005). "Sudden oak death in California: Disease progression in oaks and tanoaks." Journal of Forest Ecology and Management 213(1-3): 71-89.
- Guo, Q.; Kelly, M. (2005). "Support vector machines for predicting distribution of sudden oak death in California." Ecological Modelling 182(1): 75-90.
- Kelly, M.; Shaari, D. (2004). "A comparison of standard and hybrid classifier methods for mapping hardwood mortality in areas affected by "sudden oak death"." Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing 70(11): 1229-1239.
- Wacker, M.; Kelly, N. (2004). "Changes in vernal pool edaphic settings through mitigation at the project and landscape scale." Wetlands Ecology and Management 12(3): 165-178.
- Byrd, K.; Kelly, N. (2004). "Decadal changes in a Pacific estuary: A multi-source remote sensing approach for historical ecology." GIScience and Remote Sensing 41(4): 347-370.
- Kelly, M.; Tuxen, K. (2004). "Geospatial informatics for management of a new forest disease: Sudden oak death." Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing 70(9): 1001-1004.
- Å vihra, P.; Kelly, M. (2004). "Importance of oak ambrosia beetles in predisposing coast live oak trees to wood decay." Journal of Aboriculture 30(6): 371-375.
- Guo, Q.; Kelly, M. (2004). "Interpretation of scale in paired quadrat variance methods." Journal of Vegetation Science 15(6): 763-770.
- Kelly, M.; Liu, D. (2004). "Mapping diseased oak trees using ADAR imagery." Geocarto International 19(1): 57-64.
- Wacker, M.; Kelly, M. (2004). "Ranchers vs. ranchettes in California's oak rangelands." Rangelands 26(1): 17-22.
- Kearns, F.; Kelly, M. (2003). "Everything happens somewhere: using webGIS as a tool for sustainable natural resource management." Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 1(10): 541-548.
- Pu, R.; Ge, S. (2003). "Spectral absorption features as indicators of water status in coast live oak (Quercus agrifolia) leaves." International Journal of Remote Sensing 24(9): 1799-1810.
- McPherson, B.; Wood, D. (2003). "Sudden oak death, a new forest disease in California." Integrated Pest Management Reviews 6: 243-246.
- Kelly, N.; Tuxen, K.. (2003). "WebGIS for monitoring "Sudden Oak Death" in coastal California." Computers, Environment and Urban Systems 27: 527-547.
- Kelly, M.; Meentemeyer, R. (2002). "Landscape dynamics of the spread of Sudden Oak Death." Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing 68(10): 1001-1009.
- Fonseca, M.; Whitfield, P. (2002). "Statistical modeling of seagrass landscape pattern and associated ecological attributes in relation to hydrodynamic gradients." Ecological Applications 12(1): 218-237.
- Kelly, N. (2001). "Changes to the landscape pattern of coastal North Carolina wetlands under the Clean Water Act, 1984-1992." Landscape Ecology 16: 3-16.
- Helly, J.; Kelly, N. (2001). "Collaborative management of natural resources in San Diego Bay." Coastal Management 29(2): 117-132.
- Kelly, N.; McPherson, B. (2001). "Multi-scale approaches taken to Sudden Oak Death monitoring." California Agriculture 55(1): 15-16.
- Kelly, N.; Fonseca, M. (2001). "Predictive mapping for management and conservation of seagrass beds in North Carolina." Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 11(6): 437-451.
- Kelly, N. (2000). "Spatial accuracy assessment of wetland permits." Cartography and Geographical Information Sciences 27(2): 117-128.
- Kelly, M. ; Tuxen, K. (2009). Remote sensing support for tidal wetland vegetation research and management. Remote Sensing and Geographic Information Systems for Coastal Ecosystem Assessment and Management: Principles and Applications.. Xiaojun Yang. Springer-Verlag.
- Tuxen, K.; Kelly, M. (2008). Multi-scale functional mapping of tidal wetlands: an object-based approach. Object-based Image Analysis: Spatial concepts for knowledge driven remote sensing applications.. Thomas Blaschke, . Stefan Lang and . Geoffrey Hay. Springer. Springer Lecture Notes in Geoinformation and Cartography: 415-442.
- Bales, R.; Barrett, R. (2007). Revision of the SNAMP workplan: Learning how to apply adaptive management in the Sierra Nevada Forest Plan Amendment. Sierra Nevada Adaptive Management Project. http://snamp.cnr.berkeley.edu/documents/91/
- Kelly, M.; Shaari, D. (2005). Modeling risk for SOD nationwide: what are the effects of model choice on risk prediction? Second Sudden Oak Death Science Symposium, Monterey, CA, USDA FS PSW.
- Hashim,J.; Hill, B. (2003). Monitoring and control measures for Pierce's disease in Kern County, and epidemiological assessment of Pierce's disease. 2003 Pierce's Disease Research Symposium, Coronado, California.
- Guo, Q.; Kelly, M. (2003). Predicting distribution of a new forest disease using one-class SVMs. Third IEEE International Conference on Data Mining, Melbourne, FL.
- Kelly, M. (2003). Terrain modeling and visualization to understand spatial to understand spatial pattern and spread of sudden oak death in California. ASPRS Terrain Data Conference, Charleston, SC.
- Storer, A.; Keirnan, K. (2002). Diagnosis and Monitoring of Sudden Oak Death. UC Cooperative Extension and the California Oak Mortality Task Force. 13.
- Meentemeyer, R.; Lotz, L. (2002). Mapping the risk of Sudden Oak Death for California. Sudden Oak Death Science Symposium, Monterey, CA, USDA Forest Service.
- Harris, R.; Kocher, S. (2002). Monitoring Fish Habitat Restoration Projects. California Department of Fish and Game.
- Kelly, N. (2002). Monitoring sudden oak death in California using high-resolution imagery. USDA-Forest Service. 799-810.
- McPherson, B.; Rizzo, D. (2002). Sudden Oak Death in California: Integrated Pest Management in the Landscape. University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources: Integrated Pest Management Program.
- McPherson, B.; Wood, D. (2002). Sudden Oak Death: disease trends in Marin County plots after one year. Fifth Oak Woodland Symposium: "Oaks in California's Changing Landscape". San Diego, CA, USDA-Forest Service. 751-763. October 22-25, 2001.
- Kelly, M. (2001). Community involvement needed in monitoring sudden oak death in California. Oaks 'n' folks. 17:1, 1-2.
- Kelly, N. (2001). Linking biogeography and environmental management in the wetland landscape of coastal North Carolina: the difference between nationwide and individual wetland permits. GIS and Remote Sensing Application in Biogeography and Ecology.A. Millington. Norwell, MA, Kluwer Academic Publications.: 309-328.
- Kelly, N. (2001). Spatial pattern of forest clearing and potential sediment delivery in a north-western Oregon watershed. First International Symposium on Geographic Information Systems (GIS) in Fisheries Science, Seattle, Washington, Fishery GIS Group, Saitama, Japan.
- McPherson, B.; Wood, D. (2000). Oak mortality syndrome: Sudden death of oaks and tanoaks. California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. 26, 1-6.
- Kelly, N.; Field, D. (1999). Remote sensing of forest clearing effects on essential fish habitat of Pacific salmon. Fish Habitat: Essential Fish Habitat and Habitat Rehabilitation.. Lee Beneka. Bethesda, MD, American Fisheries Society.: 252-267.
- Kelly, M. (1996). An assessment of the spatial changes to estuarine emergent wetland in coastal North Carolina under Section 404 of the Clean Water Act. Boulder, University of Colorado. 204.
California Agriculture Article Contributions
ANR Workgroup Associations
- Climate Change Adaptation - Member
- Forest Ecosystems and Communities - Member
- Oak Woodland Conservation - Member
- UAS (Drones) Workgroup - Member